I am in the middle of bartering for an antique walnut cannonball type bed frame. This happens to be my fist experience with bartering, now that I think of it.
My friend Nancy and I went back and forth a little. Well, a lot, actually. She said “grey”. I said, “Oh, I have a bunch of grey cotton yarn!” Okay, so . . . what do you want in exchange for this lovely bed frame??? Potholders, dishrags . . . We finally decided a scatter rug for the kitchen, in front of the sink. Hurrah!
I thought I would try this double thick stitch for a rug . . . man-that’ll take FOREVER. Ditched that plan. Maybe a couple of potholders.
So now what to do??? Well, I thought, I’ll just make a nice oval area rug using the wrap method I used on this bag! No luck there. I made the initial row so long it would have ended up being 6 feet long! Dad-gummit! Tore that out too. I guess this is what I get for not using a pattern. (I would really love to have a great big area rug made this way though!)
WELL! On to “PLAN D”! Remember this???
I tore this completely back and decided to make a rectangular rag rug. I normally make them round. More accurately, hexagonal. Time to try something new. I started this one out with a ‘no-chain’ single crochet foundation. Too loose. Turns out that might not be the greatest idea, unless you can use a slightly smaller hook to start out. There is just too much variance between sizes when you are using a “Q” or “S” hook. Lesson learned. Use a chain stitch to begin.
In the end . . . I ditched the grey yarn altogether and went with some great fabric strips I have had in my stash.
I hope this is ‘grey’ enough. If not, then I will go on to “PLAN-E” whatever that is. And I’ll keep the rug too! I love it. You can see that there is a slight difference in the weight of fabrics though. Or maybe not. I am terribly critical of my own work.
TA DA . . . The finished product:
The photos were taken after I washed and dried it. I made sure to wash it using ‘heavy load’ and rinsed it twice. Tumble dry. Shake shake shake it out . . .